hive-user mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <owen.omal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 38 digits vs 35 digits for Decimal type?
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:23:48 GMT
Hive decimal supports 38 digits also. It is a natural size since it fits in 127 bits.

.. Owen

> On Feb 21, 2015, at 07:35, Yang <teddyyyy123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If I were to transfer a table from existing oracle to hive, I'd find it impossible with
NUMBER type columns.  By default oracle NUMBER gives 38 bits, but hive's closest counterpart
is the DECIMAL , which gives only 35 digits

> I'm curious how is the 35 digits determined when the DECIMAL type was introduced? Why
not follow oracle convention? Right now what is my best strategy for copying a table with
NUMBER column from oracle to hive?