hive-user mailing list archives

From Jason Dere <jd...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: date_add statement problem
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:32:33 GMT
Devopam is right, your date format looks wrong (should be yyyy-mm-dd rather than yyyy/mm/dd.

Casting should work, trying this with Hive trunk:

hive> select c1, date_add('1985-01-01', c1) from short1;
FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10014]: Line 1:11 Wrong arguments 'c1':  DATE_ADD() only
takes INT types as second  argument, got SHORT
hive> select c1, date_add('1985-01-01', cast(c1 as int)) from short1;
OK
484	1986-04-30
98	1985-04-09
278	1985-10-06
255	1985-09-13
409	1986-02-14
165	1985-06-15
27	1985-01-28
311	1985-11-08
86	1985-03-28
238	1985-08-27
Time taken: 0.044 seconds, Fetched: 10 row(s)

But the UDF is a bit restrictive here, we could definitely make date_add()/date_sub() accept
tinyint/smallint/bigint here. I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-9396
for this.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE