hive-user mailing list archives

From Vikram Dixit <>
Subject Re: Enabling Tez sessions on HiveServer2
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 05:35:06 GMT
Hi Pala,

Can you share the settings you have used for those mentioned in the
document? Are you trying to use the tez session pools? As the document
mentions, you need to disable doAs to ensure usage of the session
pool. Also, the hive server 2 settings need to be in place at the time
of starting the server.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Hitesh Shah <> wrote:
> BCC’ed user@tez.
> This question belongs to either the hive user list or the Hortonworks user forums.
> thanks
> — Hitesh
> On Dec 2, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Pala M Muthaia <> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to get Tez sessions enabled with HS2. I start the HiveServer2 instance
with the flag "-hiveconf hive.execution.engine=tez" and then try to submit multiple queries
one after another, as the same user, to the HS2 instance.
>> When i check the YARN UI, i find that each query of mine is launched as a new YARN
application. While the new Tez application is running, the old Tez applications are still
alive. This is different from Tez session in Hive CLI, where multiple queries are submitted
to the same Tez application (if launched within the Tez session timeout).
>> I followed the config instructions at
so far.
>> Is there a separate config flag that i need to turn on for Tez sessions on HS2? How
should i enable Tez sessions with HiveServer2.