hive-user mailing list archives

From <ashok.sa...@wipro.com>
Subject RE: PLEASE HELP :: HOW TO DO INNER JOIN IN HIVE
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2014 09:10:53 GMT
Hello yogesh,

The only thing hive doesn't support in join is non equi join but in Ur case bellow hive ll
definitely support. If u still getting error msg, plz paste it here. There must be something
else.

Thanks
Ashok
From: Mohit Durgapal [durgapalmohit@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:36 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP :: HOW TO DO INNER JOIN IN HIVE

Hi Yogesh,

Hive DOES support inner joins.

For example for two tables a & b, the inner join query could be

SELECT a.id<http://a.id>,a.item,b.color FROM a JOIN b ON (a.id<http://a.id> =
b.id<http://b.id>)

You also need to understand how hive converts the joins into mapreduce jobs for good performance.
Please read about it here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Joins
& https://blog.safaribooksonline.com/2012/12/05/tip-using-joins-in-hive/

Regards
Mohit