hive-user mailing list archives

From Ana Gillan <>
Subject Re: Deleted data
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:25:04 GMT

When you create tables in Hive, there are two options: external and managed
tables, which deal with data on HDFS differently.

Managed tables - when you load data, Hive copies or moved the file to a
default location (depending on what you specify in the create statement).
When you drop the table the file is deleted.

External tables - when you create an external table, you specify an HDFS
location in the create statement. Hive reads the data from that location,
but if you drop the table, the data is not deleted.

Please see here for more specific information:

On 2 September 2014 16:16, CHEBARO Abdallah <>

>  I had text file on HDFS, then I created tables in Hive, and loaded these
> data to the tables. When I dropped the tables, the data was lost. Any idea
> why?
> Thanks
> This e-mail contains information for the intended recipient only. It may
> contain proprietary material or confidential information. If you are not
> the intended recipient you are not authorised to distribute, copy or use
> this e-mail or any attachment to it. Murex cannot guarantee that it is
> virus free and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising
> from its use. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
> immediately the sender and delete the original email received, any
> attachments and all copies from your system.

View raw message