hive-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: can I run cdh5, with Apache Hive 0.13.1 ? I would like to try out the Hive-on-Tez
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:17:56 GMT
It can work but there are things to watch out for:

Hive requires a metastore, usually data stored in mysql. Some versions of
hive make no changes to the metastore.

For example between versions 0.7 and 0.8 hive added views. When you launch
a hive cli by default hive realizes the schema is missing and attempts to
add it.

BUT  hive can alter the metastore (there are variables to disable this) in
ways not reverse compatible. So if you were to say upgrade to 13.1 it MIGHT
make a change that causes 12.X (that comes with cdh) to stop working
properly.

You can have two hive installs and two metastores launching jobs on the
same hadoop cluster, which is not a huge hassle to setup, but in my case I
will just wait.