hive-user mailing list archives

From "Valluri, Sathish" <sathish.vall...@emc.com>
Subject Hive unwanted directories creation issue
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2014 08:59:27 GMT
We are creating external table in Hive and if the location path is not present in the HDFS
say /testdata(as shown below), Hive is creating the '/testdata' dummy folder.

Is there any option in hive or any way to stop creating dummy directories if the location
folder not exists.

So we end up  creating many unwanted dummy directories if the data not present on the HDFS
for many partitions we add after creating table.

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE testTable ROW FORMAT SERDE 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.avro.AvroSerDe'
WITH SERDEPROPERTIES ('avro.schema.literal'='{ <schema json literal>') STORED AS INPUTFORMAT
'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.avro.AvroContainerInputFormat' OUTPUTFORMAT 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.avro.AvroContainerOutputFormat'
LOCATION '/testdata/';

Regards

Sathish Valluri