hive-user mailing list archives

From "Dragga, Christopher" <Chris.Dra...@netapp.com>
Subject Null pointer error with UNION ALL on partitioned tables
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2014 22:39:36 GMT
Hi-

I'm using Hive 0.13.1 on Tez and running into an odd null pointer error.  If I run a query
of the form

SELECT foo, bar FROM a
UNION ALL
SELECT foo, bar FROM b;

where either a or b is an empty table partitioned on a single key (neither foo nor bar), Hive
exits with the message "FAILED: NullPointerException null" before it can runs any tasks.
If the tables in question are not partitioned, or if I use Map Reduce as the execution engine
rather than Tez, the query completes successfully.  Has anyone run into this before?  The
immediate solution seems to be to temporarily switch the execution engine for this query;
are there any better workarounds?   Finally, is this likely to be a bug, and, if so, should
I submit a JIRA?  The problem seems related to JIRA 2747, but  I don't think it's the same.

Thanks,
Chris Dragga