hive-user mailing list archives

From Manish Kothari <>
Subject RE: Error while renaming Partitioned column name
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 17:33:49 GMT
Thanks Dipesh.

Here is what I tried : -

ALTER TABLE siplogs_partitioned PARTITION (pcol1='str_hour',pcol2='str_date') RENAME TO PARTITION

When I run the above command I am getting the error below : -

FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. str_date
not found in table's partition spec: {pcol1=str_hour, pcol2=str_date}

Am I missing something here?

From: D K []
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Error while renaming Partitioned column name

Here is an example:
ALTER TABLE alter_rename_partition PARTITION (pCol1='old_part1', pcol2='old_part2') RENAME
TO PARTITION (pCol1='new_part1', pcol2='new_part2');

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Manish Kothari <<>>

I have a table name siplogs_partitioned which is partitioned by columns str_date(DATE) and
str_hour(INT). I want to rename the partitioned columns to call_date and call_hour.

I am using the below command to alter the partitioned column name: -

ALTER TABLE siplogs_partitioned PARTITION str_date RENAME TO PARTITION call_date;

When I run the above command I am getting an error : -

FAILED: ParseException line 1:12 cannot recognize input near 'siplogs_partitioned' 'PARTITION'
'str_date' in alter table partition statement

Is the “ALTER TABLE” usage correct to rename the partitioned column names?

Any pointer or help is appreciated.

View raw message