hive-user mailing list archives

From <azaz.ras...@wipro.com>
Subject CREATE TABLE throwing error for large number of columns (very long script)
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:03:47 GMT
I am trying to Create a table in Hive. It's a very long script contained large number of columns
and also contains complex fields like STRUCT, ARRAY etc.

*         Cannot create full table in one shot using CREATE TABLE statement so need to first
run CREATE and then ALTER

*         If fields are just primitive fields (even if large in numbers) then we can Create
the table in parts (First running CREATE statement and then running few ALTER statements)

*         However In few cases, we have very large STRUCT fields inside the table. Each STRUCT
contains large number of columns. STRUCT cannot be created separately by running ALTER statements
because by default ALTER works at field level and not inside a complex field like STRUCT

When we tried to replace the column of Struct type (with few number of columns) to Struct
type (with more number of columns) - Error message appeared : FAILED: Execution Error, return
code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to alter table.

Is it a limitation from metastore (MySQL/Postgres) or something which can be tweaked in Hive
configuration?

Thanks & Regards,
Azaz Rasool
Mobile (US) : +1 917 691 6266