hive-user mailing list archives

From Furcy Pin <furcy....@flaminem.com>
Subject Multiple insert on same table with INSERT OVERWRITE + INSERT INTO ?
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 07:15:22 GMT
Hi all,

Does anyone know what is the expected behavior on a query like this :

FROM source
INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE dest
SELECT *
INSERT INTO TABLE dest
SELECT *

is it the same as

FROM source
INSERT INTO TABLE dest
SELECT *
INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE dest
SELECT *

?

I'm asking because I ran a query looking like the first one on hive 0.12,
and it seems to me that the OVERWRITE was completely ignored :
I mean that the old data (which was there before the query) was still
there...
And I checked, it was no access right problem, table was 777, no sticky
bits
(I already had issues with ghost data on OVERWRITE because of it)

One last thing : my table was partitioned and I used nonstrict dynamic
partitioning,
perhaps it had an impact on the behavior too.

Thanks,

Furcy