hive-user mailing list archives

From Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com>
Subject Re: Can't drop table
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:59:02 GMT
Yeah, that doesn't work.  Hive gives clear failure-to-find serdes when running queries against
such a table.  The serde unquestionably resides at the local file system path I specified
to "add jar".  It just doesnt' work.

On Jun 10, 2014, at 23:33 , Nitin Pawar wrote:

> if you have added a table with a serde definition
>
> then just keep the jar in local filesystem and then in hive console do
> add jar <full path to jar>;
>
> this should make your serde available to table and you should be able to drop the table
then.

> I just tried above steps and it works for my json based tables.
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> I tried to create a table that would use a csv serde.  There were various problems with
it, primarily in that I couldn't figure out how to specify the path to the serde (whether
I indicate the serde location either locally or on HDFS) there were subsequent errors about
not finding the serde, even though the paths were correct).

> So I decided to drop the table since it wasn't working...but the serde error that is
causing these problems to begin with prevents me from dropping the table due to a serde-doesn't-exist
error.  Yeah, duh, that's the problem in the first place.

> This is an acknowledged problem, as indicated here:
> ...but I don't understand from that page how to get around the problem.  There is a lengthy
discussion, but it's unclear how to actually drop the darn table.  In fact, that page suggests
the problem is officially classified as "won't be fixed".

> Note, this problem also prevents me from renaming the table via "alter".
>
> I don't know what to do at this point.  Any ideas?

> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches
> me to suspect that my own is also."
>                                            --  Mark Twain
>

> --
> Nitin Pawar

"What I primarily learned in grad school is how much I *don't* know.
Consequently, I left grad school with a higher ignorance to knowledge ratio than
when I entered."
                                           --  Keith Wiley