hive-user mailing list archives

From Peter Marron <>
Subject RE: Building Hive
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:47:16 GMT
Ah, thank you.
I think that I probably should have known that already.

From: Lefty Leverenz []
Sent: 28 January 2014 11:05
Subject: Re: Building Hive

I can only answer your last question about rebuilding the metastore:  a new Hive schema tool
can do that for you, as described in the wiki here<>.

This tool can be used to initialize the metastore schema for the current Hive version. It
can also handle upgrading the schema from an older version to current. It tries to find the
current schema from the metastore if it is available. This will be applicable to future upgrades
like 0.12.0 to 0.13.0. In case of upgrades from older releases like 0.7.0 or 0.10.0, you can
specify the schema version of the existing metastore as a command line option to the tool.

-- Lefty

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Peter Marron <<>>

So I can see from
that I can download versions 11 and 12 and they will work with
Hadoop 1.0.4 which I am currently using.

So if I want to start stepping through the source, to look into
my problem with indexes, should I try and build version 11 or 12 with Ant?

I don't really want to expend a lot of time setting up a build environment
with Ant knowing that it's all been superseded for later versions.

So maybe I am better off moving to version 13 so that I can build with Maven?

If I do move to version 13 will it work over Hadoop 1.0.4?
If it does work will I have to re-build my metastore?

Any recommendations?

Peter Marron

Office: +44 (0) 118-940-7609<>
Theale Court First Floor, 11-13 High Street, Theale, RG7 5AH, UK

Be Certain About Your Data. Be Trillium Certain.

View raw message