hive-user mailing list archives

From mpeters...@gmail.com
Subject When is the serialize method of a Hive SerDe invoked?
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:50:24 GMT
When is the serialize method of a Hive SerDe invoked?

I recently created a couple of Hive SerDes and wrote unit tests for the
serialize and deserialize methods, and I've been able to test the
deserialize method in a real Hive environment, but I can't figure out a
scenario where serialize is called.  I tried:

* table creation statements
* single-table queries
* create table x AS select xxx statements
* INSERT OVERWRITE DIRECTORY xxx SELECT yyy statements

None of them invoke the serialize function as far as I can tell.

Thanks,
Michael