hive-user mailing list archives

From Nirmal Kumar <nirmal.ku...@impetus.co.in>
Subject RE: Upgrading Hive 0.7/0.8/0.9 to Hive 0.10.0
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:09:21 GMT
Thanks Dima for pointing out the important info.

I'm doing a similar migration from *Hive 0.9 to Hive 0.12* and looking for some steps that
needs to be performed as part of the migrate\upgrade.
Can you please share me the steps that you followed or referred?

Also I'm looking for what else needs to be considered if one goes for a migration of newer
version of Hive from an older version.
I am assuming of some *backward compatibility* so that the existing queries that ran fine
on the older version can run on the new version as well.
This way I assume there won't be any manual changes required in the queries.

I agree with you though that the queries needs to be tested thoroughly on the new version
as well. Also yes there can be some new bugs with the new version.

-Nirmal

From: Dima Machlin [mailto:Dima.Machlin@pursway.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:17 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: RE: Upgrading Hive 0.7/0.8/0.9 to Hive 0.10.0

Hi Nirmal,
I recently performed a similar upgrade process from Hive 0.7 to Hive 0.10
It seems that as some bugs in the 0.7 versions are solved in newer release, some new bugs
appear.

I'd recommend to setup a test environment running the newer version of Hive, and testing the
SQLs you are running on the current.
Then, compare the results in a one-to-one test checking that the data remains the same.

>From my experience I ran into 2 bugs in Hive 0.10 that don't appear in Hive 0.7 and required
making some changes in the SQLs
The bugs are :

1)      HIVE-5964<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-5964> - a very specific
edge case causing hive to miss a filter (thus causing wrong results)

2)      HIVE-5607<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-5607> - Hive failing to
parse the "%" (mod) sign in certain conditions.

In your case you might come up with different bugs or none at all, but if your environment
is a production environment I'd recommend performing a full test before upgrading.
Another option is to go over all the known bugs in v0.10 and see if they should affect your
queries.
By doing so, you will be taking the risk of encountering unknown bugs.