Hi All-
I have struggled for awhile with a simple and straightforward driver that I can use to connect to Hive Server 2 in a very similar manner as a mysql driver in python. I know there are a few ways like using thrift or ODBC but all require significant amount of installation. I decided to create my own package that includes all the required packages such as SASL and Thrift wrappers to connect. It is called pyhs2 and is avaliable here:

https://github.com/BradRuderman/pyhs2

To use simply:

pip install pyhs2

then:
import pyhs2

conn = pyhs2.connect(host='localhost',
					port=10000,
					authMechanism="PLAIN",
					user='root',
					password='test',
					database='default')
cur = conn.cursor()
cur.execute("show tables")
for i in cur.fetch():
	print i
cur.close()
conn.close()
Feel free to use it, I plan to add additional functionality and fix any bugs that exist. Most of the code was repurposed from a variety of sources. I hope you find it useful, please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Brad