hive-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Potter <>
Subject inflight jobs and updating a partition location
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 19:12:20 GMT

I'd like to implement a "latest" partition concept for one of my tables and
believe I can simply update the location using alter table X partition
(date='latest') set location 'foo';

This assumes two partitions can point at the same location?

My other question is what happens to current running jobs against the
partition I'm updating. In my case the jobs are Pig scripts using
HCatLoader. I believe the HCatLoader reads input paths during job setup, so
changing the location of my "latest" partition is safe, but wanted to

View raw message