hive-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Sprague <sprag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hive Server 2 Python Client Drivers
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 23:21:09 GMT
excellent.  you might try to get it mentioned on this page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveServer2+Clients

and save some other poor saps from re-inventing the wheel.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Brad Ruderman <bruderman@radiumone.com>wrote:

> Hi All-
> I have struggled for awhile with a simple and straightforward driver that
> I can use to connect to Hive Server 2 in a very similar manner as a mysql
> driver in python. I know there are a few ways like using thrift or ODBC but
> all require significant amount of installation. I decided to create my own
> package that includes all the required packages such as SASL and Thrift
> wrappers to connect. It is called pyhs2 and is avaliable here:
>
> https://github.com/BradRuderman/pyhs2
>
> To use simply:
>
> pip install pyhs2
>
> then:
>
> import pyhs2
>
> conn = pyhs2.connect(host='localhost',
> 					port=10000,
> 					authMechanism="PLAIN",
> 					user='root',
> 					password='test',
> 					database='default')
> cur = conn.cursor()
> cur.execute("show tables")
> for i in cur.fetch():
> 	print i
> cur.close()
> conn.close()
>
> Feel free to use it, I plan to add additional functionality and fix any bugs that exist.
Most of the code was repurposed from a variety of sources. I hope you find it useful, please
let me know if you have any questions.