hive-user mailing list archives

From P Reeder <p_ree...@persistentsys.com>
Subject SerDe for Fixed Columns?
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:48:06 GMT
Hi! Sorry to ask such a basic question, but

How do I import data from a text file with fixed columns (no delimiter)? I.e, column 1 is
characters 1-6, column 2 is characters 7-11, column 3 is character 12, column 4 is character
13, and so forth?  I'd be surprised if no one has written a SerDe for this.

The manual talks about a MetadataTypedColumnsetSerDe, a ThriftSerDe, a DynamicSerDe, and SerDes
for JSON, Avro and ORC.  I also searched Bing for "site:mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-user/
serde fixed", but that didn't appear to have anything relevant.

FWIW, the dataset is the National Immunization Survey: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nis/data_files.htm

DISCLAIMER
any liability for virus infected mails.