hive-user mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: DISCUSS: Hive language manual to be source control managed
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 23:37:15 GMT
I'm definitely +1 on moving the language doc to source control.  Being able to have versions
of the language manual that match versions of Hive would be very valuable.

Alan.

On Sep 1, 2013, at 2:39 PM, Edward Capriolo wrote:

> Over the past few weeks I have taken several looks over documents in our wiki.
> The page that strikes me as alarmingly poor is the:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual.html
>
> This page has several critical broken links such as https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-groupby.html
> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-transform.html
>
> The language manual used to be in decent shape. At times it had omissions or was not
clear about what version something appeared it, but it was very usable.

> A long time ago I had began and completed moving the wiki documentation inside the project
as xdoc. After completion, several had a problem with the xdocs approach. The main complaint
was the xdoc approach was too cumbersome. (However we have basically had a 'turn over' and
since that time I am one of the few active committers)

> The language manual is in very poor shape at the moment with broken links, incorrect
content, incomplete content, and poor coverage of the actual languages. IMHO the attempts
to crowd-source this documentation has failed. Having a good concise language manual is critical
to the success and adoption of hive.

> I do not believe all of our documentation needs to be in xdoc (as in every udf, or every
input format) but I believe the language manual surely does.

> Please review the current wiki and discuss the concept of moving the language manual
to source control, or suggest other options.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE