hive-user mailing list archives

From Rob Paul <>
Subject permission to hive users
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2013 00:31:01 GMT
I am sorry if I am missing something very basic with hive
authorization on 0.9 or before.
I went through the existing security in hive, before hiveserver2 (i.e.
hove 0.9 or before) and I see all the permission  related stuff like

Users, Groups, and Roles

Now, as far as I understand, hive query is always run by the user who
have started the hive service. Lets say, if I am Rob and hive service
is started by Peter then my queries will run by peter not by rob. So,
how this conversion happen and how do they get enforced because MR
will never know about rob but it will only know about peter.
When does this authentication happens that rob is not allowed to
create a table, so, this query should not go through.
Could you please point me to right the java file, where I can look
into these technical details.
I really appreciate your help.

View raw message