hive-user mailing list archives

From Lefty Leverenz <leftylever...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wildcard support in specifying file location
Date Sat, 10 Aug 2013 19:00:41 GMT
I don't know the answer but my guess is no, you can't use wildcards to
specify file locations when creating external tables.  Since nobody else
has answered I suggest you just try it and see what happens.

Or google "hive location wildcard" -- that led me to a related question on
stackoverflow (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14864540/can-i-have-a-hive-external-table-partition-search-recursively)
which points to two JIRAs, neither of which is resolved:

- HIVE-1083  allow sub-directories for an external table/partition  (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1083)

- HIVE-951  Selectively include EXTERNAL TABLE source files via REGEX  (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-951)

If my guess is wrong and you're able to use wildcards, please let me know
so I can add that information to the Hive wiki.

-- Lefty Leverenz