hive-user mailing list archives

From Sanjay Subramanian <Sanjay.Subraman...@wizecommerce.com>
Subject Re: Merging different HDFS file for HIVE
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2013 01:23:42 GMT
We have a similar situation like this in production…for your case case I would propose the
following steps

1. Design a map reduce job (Job Output format - Text, Lzo, Snappy, your choice)
     Inputs to Mapper
     -- records from these three feeds
    Outputs from Mapper
     -- Key = <EMP1>   Value = <feed1~field1  field2  field6  field9>
     -- Key = <EMP1>   Value = <feed2~field5  field7  field10>
     -- Key = <EMP1>   Value = <feed3~field3  field4  field8>

   Reducer Output
     -- Key = <EMP1>   Value = <field1  field2  field3  field4  field5  field6  field7
 field8  field9  field10>

2. (Optional) If u use LZO then u will need to run LzoIndexer

3. CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS YOUR_HIVE_TABLE

4. ALTER TABLE ADD PARTITION (foo1 = , foo2 = ) LOCATION 'path/to/files'

From: Stephen Sprague <spragues@gmail.com<mailto:spragues@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, July 26, 2013 4:37 PM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>" <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Merging different HDFS file for HIVE

i like #2.

so you have three, say, external tables representing your three feed files. After the third
and final file is loaded then join 'em all together - maybe make the table partitioned for
one per day.

for example:

alter table final add partition (datekey=YYYYMMDD);
insert overwrite table final partition (datekey=YYYYMMDD)  select EMP_ID,f1,...,f10 from FF1
a join FF2 b on (a.EMP_ID=b.EMP_ID join FF3 c on (b.EMP_ID=c.EMP_ID)

Or a variation on #3.   make a view on the three tables which would look just like the select
statement above.

What do you want to optimize for?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Nitin Pawar <nitinpawar432@gmail.com<mailto:nitinpawar432@gmail.com>>