hive-user mailing list archives

From Sha Liu <lius...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Multiple Insert with Where Clauses
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 04:04:08 GMT
Yes for the example you gave, it works. It even works when there is a single insert under the
from clause, but there there are multiple inserts, the where clauses seem no longer effective.

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:29:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Multiple Insert with Where Clauses
From: bruderman@radiumone.com
To: user@hive.apache.org

Have you simply tried
INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE destination SELECT col1, col2, col3FROM sourceWHERE col4 = 'abc'
Thanks!

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Sha Liu <liusand@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Hive Gurus,
When using the Hive extension of multiple inserts, can we add Where clauses for each Select
statement, like the following?
FROM ...
INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE ...    SELECT col1, col2, col3    WHERE col4='abc'INSERT OVERWRITE
TABLE ...    SELECT col1, col4, col2    WHERE col3='xyz'

The underlined parts didn't cause any errors, but they didn't seem to be effective either
(I'm using Hive 0.9). Note that the columns used in the Where clauses are not among the selected
ones, but I'm not sure if that is important. Is this kind of operations supported?

Thanks,Sha Liu