hive-user mailing list archives

From Sanjay Subramanian <Sanjay.Subraman...@wizecommerce.com>
Subject Re: hive to hbase mapping
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:21:38 GMT
6 months back I was tasked with building a Data platform for logs and I benchmarked
Hbase + Hive (queries were 8X slower)
Hive only

So I decided for Hive option and am deploying that solution to production.

Couple of things u can think while u design if u really want to go HBase+Hive (also look at
this http://hadoopstack.com/hive-on-hbase-part-1/)
- Query only todays data in a Hive+Hbase architecture
- Older data than one day query Hive only

Hope I am not diverting from your question and problem

sanjay

From: Mario Casola <mario.casola@gmail.com<mailto:mario.casola@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, June 14, 2013 8:54 AM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>" <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: hive to hbase mapping

Hi,

I have a performance issue when I query HBase from Hive.
My idea is to build the scenario below:
1. Collect data in hbase for aggregation purpose
2. Create an external table that map Hive to Hbase
3. Create a real Hive table
4. Periodically transfer data from hbase to Hive through "INSERTO INTO <real hive table>
SELECT * FROM <external table> WHERE time = 201305212909"

Currently I'm doing a test on a Hbase table that has 70,000,000 rows and I'm trying to query
this table with a single column value filter, like the query above.
If I try this type of query directly in Hbase the response time is around 80 seconds.
If I try the query in Hive shell, after 30 minutes, all the tasks (9 in my case) are 0,00%
complete.

Which could be the problem?

thanks
Mario