hive-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <>
Subject Fetching Results from Hive Select (JDBC vs HiveClient.fetchN())
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:45:46 GMT
currently we are using HiveSever1 with the native HiveClient interface.
Our application design looks horrible because (for whatever reason) it
spawns a dedicated HiveServer for every query.

We thought it is a good idea to switch to HiveServer2 (because the
MetaStore get used by many different applications).

The JDBC setup was straight forward, but the performance is not what we

If we fetch a large result set (with fetchN()  over HiveClient) we read
with around 10MB/s.

If I use JDBC (with ) i have a throughput from 1MB/*min*.

Any chance to speed this up (like bulk fetching)?

Best Regards,

View raw message