hive-user mailing list archives

From Richa Sharma <mailtorichasha...@gmail.com>
Subject Populating timestamp fields
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:06:03 GMT
Hi

I am working on Hive version hive-service-0.10.0-cdh4.2.1

>From the manual it is clear that Date datatype is not yet supported but
timestamps are supported.

I am having trouble populating timestamp fields.

Tried 2 scenarios

1. Created a table with 1 column as timestamp field and loaded data using
LOAD DATA command. The data gets loaded but if the value is null for this
timestamp field Hive doesn't let me query on it.

2. Created a table with 1 column as timestamp and rest as string. Tried
inserting data into this table by selecting from another table.
INSERT OVERWRITE target_table
select from source_table

Here source table has field as string and target table has that field as
timestamp. if I run Insert overwrite command it populates default value
1970-01-01 06:00:00 in the target table.

I also tried working with substr or to_date function in the select clause
then also I am unable to get the desired value in target table.

Has anybody faced a similar issue and knows of a work around ?

Regards
Richa