hive-user mailing list archives

From Michael Duergner | Pockets United GmbH <mich...@pocketsunited.com>
Subject Using JSON Data with Hive
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 07:24:28 GMT
Hi there,

I'm looking if we can use Hive to run our usage analytics; our system right now collects data
from our clients in JSON format which results in multiple files per client (every time analytics
events are uploaded to the server a new file is created) which is in JSON format; each file
has one JSON array with multiple JSON objects representing the actual analytics events.

From what I understood from the docs so far, Hive should be able to with with JSON data; the
only difference our data has compared to the data I saw in several examples is, that the actual
entries are inside an array instead of being single lines in this file.

Can I process them directly or do I need to write some custom code to transform the input
data?

Thanks
Michael
___________________________
Michael Dürgner
Founder & CTO
Pockets United GmbH

email      michael@pocketsunited.com
phone      +49 89 2155 6166-1
mobile    +49 151 42 31 46 40 (time: CET/UTC+1h)
mail        Dachauerstr. 241, 80637 Munich, Germany
office      Wayra Akademie, Kaufingerstr. 15, 80331 Munich, Germany

www.pocketsunited.com

Split Costs, Share Fun!

Managing Directors: Michael Duergner, Matthias Schicker und Markus Stiefel
Location and Municipal Court: Munich HRB 192066
VAT: DE277893196