hive-user mailing list archives

From Raj Hadoop <hadoop...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: hive.metastore.warehouse.dir - Should it point to a physical directory
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 18:11:00 GMT
So that means I need to create a HDFS ( Not an OS physical directory ) directory under Hadoop
that need to be used in the Hive config file for this property. Right?

________________________________
From: Dean Wampler <deanwampler@gmail.com>
To: Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@yahoo.com>
Cc: Sanjay Subramanian <Sanjay.Subramanian@wizecommerce.com>; "user@hive.apache.org"
<user@hive.apache.org>; User <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: hive.metastore.warehouse.dir - Should it point to a physical directory

No, you only need a directory in HDFS, which will be "virtually located" somewhere in your
cluster automatically by HDFS.

Also there's a typo in your hive.xml:

  <value/software/home/hadoop/hive/hive-0.9.0/warehouse</value>
Should be

  <value>/correct/path/in/hdfs/to/your/warehouse/directory</value>

Thanks Sanjay.

Dean Wampler <deanwampler@gmail.com>

by default. (External tables can go elsewhere). It doesn't really have anything to do with
the metastore.

>dean
>

>On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Can some one help me on this ? I am stuck installing and configuring Hive with Oracle.
Your timely help is really aprreciated.

under Hadoop fs.default.name. Please advise whether I need to create any directory for the
variable hive.metastore.warehouse.dir