hive-user mailing list archives

From Michael Allman <mich...@eclipse.io>
Subject order by tinyint partition key
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 19:50:21 GMT
Hello,

I have created a hive table (0.10.0-cdh4.2.0) for which one of the partition keys is a tinyint
called "h". When I perform a select and group by h and sort by h, hive sorts h as a string,
lexicographically. So 10 comes before 2, 3, 4, etc. However, if I adjust my "order by" clause
to cast h to a tinyint, like

cast(h as tinyint)

then the rows are ordered correctly (so 2 comes before 10, etc.) Since I declared h to be
of type tinyint when creating the table, this seems like a bug to me. Shouldn't hive order
a tinyint partition key as a tinyint without needing an seemingly redundant a cast?

Cheers,

Michael