hive-user mailing list archives

From "LUTTER, Steffen" <>
Subject RE: Syntax for filters on timstamp data type
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 13:38:13 GMT
Hi Mark,

Correct, I just did some tests and the cast is the way to go. While for comparison operations
(equal, diff, ...) implicit casts work, this is not the case for the IN clause. I think it
should, as eventually this just translates to a disjunction of comparisons so it should be
the same.

Anyway, I have a working solution now. For the record I paste two working example queries

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

Example 1: SELECT * FROM  table1 WHERE datecol  =  CAST('2009-01-17 00:00:00' AS timestamp)
Example 2: SELECT * FROM  table1 WHERE datecol IN (CAST ('2009-01-11 00:00:00' AS timestamp),
CAST ('2009-01-08 00:00:00' AS timestamp) )

From: Mark Grover []
Sent: 05 April 2013 18:43
Subject: Re: Syntax for filters on timstamp data type

One thing that may be different is that equal can cast operands to make equals work but that
may not be true for IN. FWIW, this is me just speculating, I haven't looked at the code just

Perhaps, you could explicit casting to get around this?
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM, LUTTER, Steffen <<>>
Equal, not equal, less than, less or equal, greater than, greater or equal all work. Also
the function execution in the IN clause seems to work, as the error message states that the
result type is bigint. Following the error message, it expects the input as timestamp, but
I couldn't find a syntax to express timestamps in HiveQL.

Two questions remain:

1)      How to express timestamps in HiveQL?

2)      Why doesn't the IN clause support comparisons between timestamp and bigint, if "equal"
and so on does?

Thanks for any thought in this,