hive-user mailing list archives

From Gobinda Paul <gobi...@live.com>
Subject RE: Getting Slow Query Performance!
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:01:07 GMT

Thnx for your reply , i am new to hadoop and hive .My goal is to process a big data using
hadoop,this is my university project ( Data Mining ) ,need to show that hadoop is better than
mysql in case of Big data(30-100GB+) Processing,i know hadoop does that.To do so,can you please
suggest me,how many node is required to show the performance  and what type of configuration
is required for each node.

From: bschut@ebuddy.com
To: user@hive.apache.org
CC: gobinda@live.com
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:40:33 +0100
Subject: RE: Getting Slow Query Performance!

Generally a single hadoop machine will perform worse then a single mysql machine. People normally
use hadoop when they have so much data it won't really fit on a single machine and it would
require specialized hardware (Stuff like SAN's) to run.30GB of data really isn't that much
and 2GB of ram is really not what hadoop is designed to work on. It really likes to have lots
of memory.I also don't see the hadoop configuration files so perhaps you only have 1 mapper
and 1 reducer. But this is not a typical use-case so I doubt you'll see snappy performance
after tweaking the configs.