hive-user mailing list archives

From Joey D'Antoni <jdant...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Hive sample test
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 18:48:02 GMT
Just add a limit 1 to the end of your query.

On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Kyle B <kbinaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to quick-verify a Hive query before it is run against
a big dataset? The tables I am querying against have millions of records, and I'd like to
verify my Hive query before I run it against all records.

> Is there a way to test the query against a small subset of the data, without going into
full MapReduce? As silly as this sounds, is there a way to MapReduce without the overhead
of MapReduce? That way I can check my query is doing what I want before I run it against all
records.