hive-user mailing list archives

From Tony Burton <TBur...@SportingIndex.com>
Subject S3/EMR Hive: Load contents of a single file
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 17:11:17 GMT
Hi list,

I've been using hive to perform queries on data hosted on AWS S3, and my tables point at data
by specifying the directory in which the data is stored, eg

$ create external table myData (str1 string, str2 string, count1 int) partitioned by <snip>
row format <snip> stored as textfile location 's3://mybucket/path/to/data';

where s3://mybucket/path/to/data is the "directory" that contains the files I'm interested
in. My use case now is to create a table with data pointing to a specifc file in a directory:

$ create external table myData (str1 string, str2 string, count1 int) partitioned by <snip>
row format <snip> stored as textfile location 's3://mybucket/path/to/data/src1.txt';

and I get the error: "FAILED: Error in metadata: MetaException(message:Got exception: java.io.IOException
Can't make directory for path 's3://spinmetrics/global/counter_Fixture.txt' since it is a
file.)". Ok, lets try to create the table without specifying the data source:

$ create external table myData (str1 string, str2 string, count1 int) partitioned by <snip>
row format <snip> stored as textfile

Ok, no problem. Now lets load the data

$ LOAD DATA INPATH 's3://mybucket/path/to/data/src1.txt' INTO TABLE myData;

(referring to https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-dml.html - "...filepath can refer
to a file (in which case hive will move the file into the table)")

Error message is: " FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: Line 1:17 Path is not legal ''s3://mybucket/path/to/data/src1.txt":
Move from: s3:// mybucket/path/to/data/src1.txt to: hdfs://10.48.97.97:9000/mnt/hive_081/warehouse/gfix
is not valid. Please check that values for params "default.fs.name" and "hive.metastore.warehouse.dir"
do not conflict."

So I check my default.fs.name and hive.metastore.warehouse.dir (which have never caused problems
before):

$ set fs.default.name;
fs.default.name=hdfs://10.48.97.97:9000
$ set hive.metastore.warehouse.dir;
hive.metastore.warehouse.dir=/mnt/hive_081/warehouse

Clearly different, but which is correct? Is there an easier way to load a single file into
a hive table? Or should I just put each file in a directory and proceed as before?

Thanks!

Tony

Tony Burton
Senior Software Engineer
e: tburton@sportingindex.com<mailto:tburton@sportingindex.com>

[cid:image001.png@01CE2A44.EDE53F90]<http://www.sportingsolutions.com/>

Please consider the environment before printing this email or attachments

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this
email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying
by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor
the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect any
computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the responsibility
of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage
arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered
in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Gateway House,
Milverton Street, London, SE11 4AP.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404) and Gambling Commission (reg. no. 000-027343-R-308898-001).
 Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM