hive-user mailing list archives

From Ian <>
Subject Re: External table for hourly log files
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:26:30 GMT
Thanks, but it seems it relates only to inserts. How can I use dynamic partition on the query?
So if I changed the log path to use the Hive's directory naming convention (e.g., dt=2013-03-08/hr=01),
I still need to Add Partition multiple times. How can dynamic partitions help in this case?
    CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE testpart (logline string) PARTITIONED BY(dt string, hr string);
    ALTER TABLE testpart ADD PARTITION(dt='2013-03-08', hr='01);

 From: Sanjay Subramanian <>
To: "" <>; Ian <>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: External table for hourly log files

You may want to look at Dynamic partitions
 From: Ian <>
Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:29 AM
To: "" <>
Subject: External table for hourly log files

We use Hive "Insert Overwrite Directory" to copy the hourly logs to hdfs. So there are lots
of directories like these:
    /my/logs/2013-03-08/01/000000_0     /my/logs/2013-03-08/02/000000_0
Now we want to create external table to query the log data. So we use the "Add Partition".
    CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE testpart (logline string) PARTITIONED BY(dt string);
    ALTER TABLE testpart ADD PARTITION(dt='2013-03-08-01') LOCATION '/my/logs/2013-03-08/01';

This works fine. However if we want say one week worth of logs, then we need to repeat "Add
Partition" 24*7 times. I'm wondering if there is other way to avoid specifying Partition statements
so many times, maybe something like wildcard "2013-03-08/*"? If not, what's the general practice
to handle these hourly logs?

or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
 please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message along
with any attachments, from your computer system. If you are the intended recipient, please
be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review
 and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.
View raw message