hive-user mailing list archives

From Bennie Schut <bsc...@ebuddy.com>
Subject RE: Problem with Hive JDBC server
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 10:53:47 GMT
Since it's small can you post the code?

From: Gabor Makrai [mailto:makrai.list@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:45 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Problem with Hive JDBC server

Hi guys,

I'm writing you because I experienced a very strange problem which probably affects all Hive
distribution.
I made a small "only main function" Java program where I'm only connecting to my Hive JDBC,
and getting the list of the database tables (LIST TABLES) and closing the ResultSet, the Statement
and the Connection and doing this a 1000 times. The problem is that the running Hive JDBC
server does not release files and with time it will throw Exception because, it will get "Too
many open files" IOException from the JVM.

I tested with Hive 0.9, 0.8.1, and the patched Hive 0.9 installed in CDH4.1.1.

If it is a know issue, than could you tell me the solution for it? If it is not, than I can
create a new ticket in Jira, and with a little help, I probably can fix the problem and contribute
the solution for it.

Thanks,
Gabor