hive-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can hive show external table filenames?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:12:31 GMT
Try
describe extended <tablename>
or
describe extended <tablename> (<partition>)

the location is one of the properties

Edward

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> "show tables" shows the HDFS directories which correspond to Hive tables and various
select queries show data from inside the files (each row of a file being a row of the overarching
table that the entire directory represents)...or so I have convinced myself...but can Hive
show the HDFS filenames?  Or is "hadoop fs -ls" the only way to do that?