hive-user mailing list archives

From abhishek <abhishek.dod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automating the partition creation process
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 04:47:01 GMT
Sadananda,

Look at Oozie workflow.

Regards
Abhishek

On Jan 28, 2013, at 11:05 PM, Sadananda Hegde <saduhegde@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My hive table is partitioned by year, month and day. I have defined it as external table.
The M/R job correctly loads the files into the daily subfolders. The hdfs files will be loaded
to <hivetable>/year=yyyy/month=mm/day=dd/ folders by the scheduled M/R jobs. The M/R
job has some business logic in determining the values for year, month and day; so one run
might create / load files into multiple sub -folders (multiple days). I am able to query the
tables after adding partitions using ALTER TABLE ADD PARTITION statement. But how do I automate
the partition creation step? Basically this script needs to identify the subfolders created
by the M/R job and create corresponding ALTER TABLE ADD PARTITION statements.

> For example, say the M/R job loads files into the following 3 sub-folders
>
> /user/hive/warehouse/sales/year=2013/month=1/day=21
> /user/hive/warehouse/sales/year=2013/month=1/day=22
> /user/hive/warehouse/sales/year=2013/month=1/day=23
>
> Then it should create 3 alter table statements
>
> ALTER TABLE sales ADD PARTITION (year=2013, month=1, day=21);
> ALTER TABLE sales ADD PARTITION (year=2013, month=1, day=22);
> ALTER TABLE sales ADD PARTITION (year=2013, month=1, day=23);
>
> I thought of changing M/R jobs to load all files into same folder, then first load the
files into non-partitioned table and then to load the partitioned table from non-partitioned
table (using dynamic partition); but would prefer to avoid that extra step if possible (esp.
since data is already in the correct sub-folders).