hive-user mailing list archives

From Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com>
Subject Re: Can hive show external table filenames?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:55:26 GMT
Hmmm, that doesn't seem to list the files in the directory.

On Jan 31, 2013, at 12:12 , Edward Capriolo wrote:

> Try
> describe extended <tablename>
> or
> describe extended <tablename> (<partition>)
>
> the location is one of the properties
>
> Edward
>

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
>> "show tables" shows the HDFS directories which correspond to Hive tables and various
select queries show data from inside the files (each row of a file being a row of the overarching
table that the entire directory represents)...or so I have convinced myself...but can Hive
show the HDFS filenames?  Or is "hadoop fs -ls" the only way to do that?

>> Thanks.

"You can scratch an itch, but you can't itch a scratch. Furthermore, an itch can
itch but a scratch can't scratch. Finally, a scratch can itch, but an itch can't
scratch. All together this implies: He scratched the itch from the scratch that
itched but would never itch the scratch from the itch that scratched."
                                           --  Keith Wiley