hive-user mailing list archives

From Robin Morris <...@baynote.com>
Subject Re: question about machine learning on Hive
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 04:57:55 GMT
In a similar way, ML algorithms can be put into a Hive UDAF.  I'm working on this at the moment,
and it's proved quite straightforward to integrate liblinear into a UDAF.  As Igor notes,
by setting the number of reducers, you can set the number of parallel learners.

Robin
www.baynote.com

From: Igor Tatarinov <igor@decide.com<mailto:igor@decide.com>>
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:29 PM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>" <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: question about machine learning on Hive

Here is how Twitter does it with Pig:
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~jimmylin/publications/Lin_Kolcz_SIGMOD2012.pdf

We use a similar approach and I think that Pig, being somewhat lower-level with better support
of nested objects, is a better tool than Hive. It should be possible to do something similar
with Hive but we haven't tried. The trick is to implement the learner as a serializer. Then,
the number of reducers will determine how many parallel learners (bags) you can run.

igor
decide.com<http://decide.com>

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM, qiaoresearcher <qiaoresearcher@gmail.com<mailto:qiaoresearcher@gmail.com>>