hive-user mailing list archives

From hardik doshi <kool_har...@yahoo.com>
Subject ALTER TABLE CHANGE COLUMN issue
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:14:18 GMT
Hi,

I am running into an issue where ALTER TABLE CHANGE COLUMN does not seem to be working.

I have a table with a column data type looking like array<struct<a:int, b:int>>
and I am trying to it change to array<struct<a:int, b:int, c:string>> based
on the underlying data schema change.

The alter command succeeds and subsequent describe call shows me the updated table structure.
But when tried querying the table,
it returns null for the newly added field.

This does not happen when a new table with updated column data type is created.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks,
Hardik.

PS:- My alter command: ALTER TABLE hardiktest CHANGE COLUMN col1 col2 array<struct<a:int,
b:int, c:string>>.