hive-user mailing list archives

From Mohit Chaudhary01 <Mohit_Chaudhar...@infosys.com>
Subject RE: reg : reteriveing a single column from hive serde table
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:19:06 GMT
I am using serde in hive to store data into hive table from xml file.
Whenever I retrieve data using command select * from table it give all records  from table.

But when I want to extract an individual column it gives error .
Please Tell me how can I retrieve a single column from this table.

This is the error when I try to extract a single column from hive serde table .

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.Hadoop20SShims$CombineFileRecordReader.initNextRecordReader(Hadoop20SShims.java:306)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.Hadoop20SShims$CombineFileRecordReader.<init>(Hadoop20SShims.java:269)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.Hadoop20SShims$CombineFileInputFormatShim.getRecordReader(Hadoop20SShims.java:366)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.CombineHiveInputFormat.getRecordReader(CombineHiveInputFormat.java:413)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runOldMapper(MapTask.java:371)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1127)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.Hadoop20SShims$CombineFileRecordReader.initNextRecordReader(Hadoop20SShims.java:292)
        ... 10 more
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.contrib.serde2.XmlInputFormat$XmlRecordReader.<init>(XmlInputFormat.java:76)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.contrib.serde2.XmlInputFormat.getRecordReader(XmlInputFormat.java:44)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.CombineHiveRecordReader.<init>(CombineHiveRecordReader.java:68)
        ... 15 more

when you are using serde, do you have column separator in place? if not can you do select
* from table limit 1

to get normally a single coulmn you should do select column from table where column=value

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Mohit Chaudhary01 <Mohit_Chaudhary01@infosys.com<mailto:Mohit_Chaudhary01@infosys.com>>
I am using serde in hive to store data into hive table from xml file.
Whenever I retrieve data using command select * from table it give all records  from table.

But when I want to extract an individual column it gives error .
Please Tell me how can I retrieve a single column from this table.

Thanks
Mohit chaudhary

Infosys e-mail system.

Nitin Pawar