hive-user mailing list archives

From Søren ...@syntonetic.com>
Subject Re: handling null argument in custom udf
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:43:42 GMT
Right. Thanks for all the help.
It turned out that it did help to check for null in the code. No mystery.
I did try that earlier but the attempt got lost somehow.

Thanks for the advise on using GenericUDF.

cheers
Søren

On 05/12/2012 11:10, Vivek Mishra wrote:
> The way UDF works is, you need to tell your ObjectInspector about your primitive or JavaTypes.
So in your case even if value is null, you should be able to assign it as a String or any
other object. Then invocation to evaluate() function should know about type of java object.

> -Vivek

public org.apache.hadoop.io.Text com.company.hive.myfun.evaluate(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object)
> on objectcom.company.hive.myfun@1412332 of class com.company.hive.myfun with arguments
{0:java.lang.Object, null} of size 2

> It looks like there is a null, or is this error message misleading?
>

> On 04/12/2012 15:43, Edward Capriolo wrote:
> There is no null argument. You should handle the null case in your code.
>
> If (arga == null)
>
> Or optionally you could use a generic udf but a regular one should handle what you are
doing.

> On Tuesday, December 4, 2012, Søren <sd@syntonetic.com<mailto:sd@syntonetic.com>>
wrote:
>> Hi Hive community
>>
>> I have a custom udf, say myfun, written in Java which I utilize like this
>>
>> select myfun(col_a, col_b) from mytable where ....etc
>>
>> col_b is a string type and sometimes it is null.
>>
>> When that happens, my query crashes with
>> ---------------
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Hive
Runtime Error while processing row
>> {"col_a":"val","col_b":null}
>> Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Unable to execute method
public org.apache.hadoop.io.Text
>> ---------------
>>
>> public final class myfun extends UDF {
>>          public Text evaluate(final Text argA, final Text argB) {
>>
>> I'm unsure how this should be fixed in a proper way. Is the framework looking for
an overload of evaluate that would comply with the null argument?

>> I need to say that the table is declared using my own json serde reading from S3.
I'm not processing nulls in my serde in any special way because Hive seems to handle null
in the right way when not passed to my own UDF.

>> Are there anyone out there with ideas or experiences on this issue?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>> Søren

interception or interference.