hive-user mailing list archives

From Fernando Andrés Doglio Turissini <fernando.dog...@globant.com>
Subject Starting with Hive - writing custom SerDe
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:38:44 GMT
Hello everyone, I'm starting to play around with Hive, and I have to load a
traffic data log file into a table. My problem is that the lines of the
file don't really have a nice separator for each field (on the same line,
there are serveral blank or hyphens or single blank spaces used as
separators)...
So after looking around for a while, I found that I have to write a custom
SerDe in order to tell Hive how to parse those lines.

I've also found that I can only write them using Java (unlike UDFs for pig
for instance, which can be written using other languages), is this correct?
Furthermore, I wanted to know if anyone can point me into the direction of
some sort of documentation  that describes the process of writing a SerDe.
I've found examples around the internet, but none of them explain what
exactly is each method supposed to do (I'm talking about the methods
supplied by the SerDe interface).

Thanks in advance!

Best!
Fernando