hive-user mailing list archives

From Cheng Su <scarcer...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How does hive decide to launch how many map tasks?
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:01:03 GMT
Hi, Bejoy.
I find the mapred.min.split.size in mapred-default.xml, but there is
no mapred.max.split.size property.
I'm using hadoop 0.20.205.0.

Maybe only newer versions support mapred.max.split.size?

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Cheng Su <scarcer.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much :)
>
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Bejoy KS <bejoy_ks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chen
>>
>> The computation on the number of Input Splits/ map tasks is totally determined by
the InputFormat used as well as the split size.

>> Hive used CombineHiveInput format so you may not be having one mapper per file if
your files are small. You can control the number of maps by controlling the split sizes.

--

Regards,
Cheng Su