hive-user mailing list archives

From Dean Wampler <dean.wamp...@thinkbiganalytics.com>
Subject Re: Alter table is giving error
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 14:33:27 GMT
Writing a script to add the external partitions individually is the only way I know of.

Sent from my rotary phone.

On Nov 5, 2012, at 8:19 AM, Chunky Gupta <chunky.gupta@vizury.com> wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> Actually I was having Hadoop and Hive cluster on EMR and I have S3 storage containing
logs which updates daily and having partition with date(dt). And I was using this recover
partition.
> Now I wanted to shift to EC2 and have my own Hadoop and Hive cluster. So, what is the
alternate of using recover partition in this case, if you have any idea ?
> I found one way of individually partitioning all dates, so I have to write script for
that to do so for all dates. Is there any easiest way other than this ?

> Thanks,
> Chunky
>

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Dean Wampler <dean.wampler@thinkbiganalytics.com>
wrote:
>> The RECOVER PARTITIONS is an enhancement added by Amazon to their version of Hive.
>>
>> http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/ElasticMapReduce/latest/DeveloperGuide/emr-hive-additional-features.html
>>
>> <shameless-plus>
>>   Chapter 21 of Programming Hive discusses this feature and other aspects of using
Hive in EMR.
>> </shameless-plug>
>>
>> dean
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Chunky Gupta <chunky.gupta@vizury.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am having a cluster setup on EC2 with Hadoop version 0.20.2 and Hive version
0.8.1 (I configured everything) . I have created a table using :-

>>> CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE XXX ( YYY )PARTITIONED BY ( ZZZ )ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS
TERMINATED BY 'WWW' LOCATION 's3://my-location/data/';

>>> Now I am trying to recover partition using :-
>>>
>>> ALTER TABLE XXX RECOVER PARTITIONS;
>>>
>>> but I am getting this error :- "FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:12 cannot recognize
input near 'XXX' 'RECOVER' 'PARTITIONS' in alter table statement"

>>> Doing same steps on a cluster setup on EMR with Hadoop version 1.0.3 and Hive
version 0.8.1 (Configured by EMR), works fine.