hive-user mailing list archives

From "Connell, Chuck" <>
Subject RE: hive under cygwin
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:39:05 GMT
OK, I stand corrected. Still seems easier to me to just create a Linux virtual machine, but
it is nice to have the Windows option.

From: Edward Capriolo []
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: hive under cygwin

In the past it was a bit of a "kludge"

But there are several parties very motivated to make this happen. I
can say their are easily 10 patches post hive 0.9.0X that are for
making things that only worked on linux work natively on windows.

Baby steps.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Connell, Chuck
<> wrote:
> This same question comes up about once per week on this list. Anyone who knows how to
type "hive cygwin" into a search bar will pretty quickly find that Hadoop is made for native
> Is it possible to make Hadoop (and Hive) run under Cygwin? Apparently so, with lots of
kludges and jumping through hoops, but not worth the trouble.
> Chuck

View raw message