hive-user mailing list archives

From "Manish Bhoge" <manishbh...@rocketmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing a star schema (facts & dimension model)
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:34:29 GMT
Austin,

There are some of the great questions asked simply in your email.

Datawarehouse and hadoop echo system goes hand-on-hand. I don't think you need to move all
data from your warehouse to hive and hbase. This is the key :) you need to understand where
should you use have and where can you utilize hbase for your existing datawarehouse. There
is no reason for which you can just move everything from current state of datawarehouse to
hadoop. Anyway, I can tell you some of the learning here, if you have data which batch loaded
and has huge volume(more than 1 TB) and you can flatten the structure to a table then use
Hive it will give you flexibility to slide and dice the data between hive table. Remember,
it should be batch updated or never updated from the source (dimensional data basically).
However all the frequent transaction can be routed through Hbase. Hbase gives you better update
mechanism than Hive. If you're working on web data(crawler or logs) then Pig can give you
quick utilization to bring on that data to analysis or creating reporting dataset for further
analysis.

Remember, the way you design the data structure or model in datawarehouse world is all together
different than the way you define in hadoop echo system.

I would iterate first find out what data you need to move to hadoop echo system on what reason?
Believe me MySql can give you far quicker response . Don't use hadoop to replace your MySQL
datawarehouse.

Thank You,
Manish.

Sent from my BlackBerry, pls excuse typo