hive-user mailing list archives

From Peter Marron <Peter.Mar...@trilliumsoftware.com>
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:44:31 GMT
Hi,

I'm very much a Hive newbie but I've been looking at HIVE-417 and this page in particular:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/IndexDev
Using this information I've been able to create an index (using Hive 0.8.1)
and when I look at the contents it all looks very promising indeed.
However on the same page there's this comment:

"...This document currently only covers index creation and maintenance. A follow-on will explain
how indexes are used to optimize queries (building on FilterPushdownDev<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/FilterPushdownDev>)...."

However I can't find the "follow-on" which tells me how to exploit the index that I've
created to "optimize" subsequent queries.
Now I've been told that I can create and use indexes with the current
release of Hive _without_ writing and developing any Java code of my own.
Is this true? If so, how?

Any help appreciated.

Peter Marron.