hive-user mailing list archives

From Kaufman Ng <>
Subject insert into table not working with tables prefixed with database name
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:36:13 GMT
Does anyone know if insert into statement is supposed to work across

For instance if I do this the target table gets appended correctly:

insert into table target select * from source;

However, if I have another target table in a different database, the
target table simply gets overwritten instead of appended:

insert into table select * from source;

To get around this, one needs to switch to the target database first,
then run the insert into statement like this:

insert into table target select * from default.source;

Just wanna confirm if this is a bug.  Thx.

View raw message